THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Academic texts...boooring

Since coming to University I have gotten used to many things - academic texts for one. Sociology is a subject which forces you to engage with the readings of mostly dead authors - the dull opinions and teachings of theorists and researchers. I used to have a great deal of trouble understanding the foreign words of English only used among the "elite", I believed. Well, it's not so hard anymore. It would be a lot easier if they spoke ordinary English instead of "Greeklish" but hey, at least these texts teach you to speak like a professor. And I have learnt how to drench my essays with words like "hence", "therefore", "moreover" etc. in order to increase my wordcount. Academic texts aren't all that dull, however :). They allow one to contemplate deeply and unpack deeper meanings within the text. Yes, it all sounds so deep but this is how I see it. Academic texts have improved my vocabulary, now I don't feel as though I have to grab a dictionary everytime someone says a word longer than five syllables.

0 comments: