THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why the need for Daily Dose of Zapiro?

In the spirit of the freedom of speech, I have decided to post one of the most outspoken political cartoonists in South Africa.





I must admit, I have always been in awe of the man. Besides having balls of steel, he manages to pump out daily cartoons that have a 99% success rate of being funny. Now that's talent. But the essence of Zapiro's effect is found in the appalled reactions of those targeted in his cartoons. He is perhaps best known of late because of his Jacob Zuma showerhead cartoons. As a result of his infamous Lady Justice cartoon featuring South Africa's former deputy-president and newly-appointed ANC President Jacob Zuma,Zapiro is currently being sued by Zuma for defamation. The amount was initially R15 million; but has been subsequently reduced time and time again.

There is no doubt that Zapiro envokes something within South Africans, whether it be rage or tumultous laughter (I'm going with the former), but it is the idea of censorship of Zapiro's cartoons that really signals something deeper.


Ideally, in a democratic state, aren't journalists allowed to criticize people all they want as long as it does not amount to hate speech or incite violence? I'm just saying...


So in the spirit of rebellion, I am going to post as much Zapiro as I can, to show my support for the man. (Hey, that rhymes.)

0 comments: