THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, October 19, 2009

News writing Commentary


The story I chose to comment on is the decision of the University of the Free State on Friday to drop charges against the “Reitz Four” for creating a video which showed the boys forcing cleaning staff to engage in humiliating acts, even urinating in their food.

News Article 1
I wasn’t surprised to find such a highly opinionated article in the Mail and Guardian, however, I was just amazed at the sarcastic tone in which the author wrote- I found this to be different from the usual academic tone of the Mail and Guardian. I especially enjoyed her comment: "Yes, we must embrace reconciliation, but it has its limits," he said. Now fancy that. Anyone with hopes for the Middle East peace process should just give up now. Limited reconciliation. Is that like limited democracy? Or maybe just limited love. It's definitely up there with limited forgiveness.” Her comments just reiterate the fact that without forgiveness we cannot move forward as a country, whether the hurt was done last year or in the last decade.


News Article 2
I was very interesting to read the different responses from various organisations and parties about the incident. I felt that the opinions were extremely balanced and at the end I was convinced by both arguments. The boys shouldn’t be deprived of an education, but letting them in also implies that the university allows that kind of behaviour without repercussions. I hope that South Africans can learn to forgive, although this incident is proving to be extremely difficult.
To follow on Twitter, click here

0 comments: