THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gone are those days...

In a Linguistics tutorial last week we were discussing literature and I started reminiscing of my good old teenage years and the books I used to read. Remember Sweet Valley High? Looking back I think "gee what nonsense". Reading about a pair of perfect twins whose worlds revolved around boys, clothes and parties might have seemed fun back then,but these stories are basically implying that the lives Jessica and Elizabeth lead are what all teenagers should conform to. Staying slim, being a cheerleader and having a hot, basketball-player boyfriend are all vital in the lives of a young teenager. So this must imply that bookworms, high-academic achievers, the not-so-pretty etc. are "geeks" or "nerds" and don't fit into the category of "cool teen". So what I'm trying to say is that Sweet Valley High, is potentially dangerous in terms of what teengaers perceive as normal, believe it or not.

But the books we read as teens are not all bad - I still enjoy a good classic like The Famous Five and those great stories about girls' boarding schools and their midnight feasts. The Babysitters Club will forever remain a great favourite and anyone remember Ramona and Tracy Beaker? Those characters had the ability to turn a dreary day into one of the most exciting and extraordinary days ever. Let' not forget the likes of Goosebumps and Animorphs - not my favourite reads but thrilling all the same. I dare you to pick up your favourite teen book and allow it to take you back in time....

0 comments: