THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 25, 2009

The stigma of student journalism

by Danelle Wessels

I’m only nineteen, one of many ambitious first-years at Rhodes University. I am a ‘student journalist’, a term which carries many less-than-flattering connotations. I’ve heard it means we’re unprofessional, grammatically incorrect, socially and politically insensitive and inexperienced. While some of us may have cringe-worthy netiquette and no sense of sentence structure, we don’t all deserve the tainted reputation. JMS students slave away and, believe it or not, even first-years show dedication in between their hectic drinking schedules. Heck, pub-crawling is a part of our work.

I’m not a journalist by profession yet; I don’t get paid to write. Instead, it’s something that lives in my blood. I’m addicted to the adventure of it, the creativity and impact of it. Passion and dedication are not to be taken lightly when considering the worth of a journalist. If spirit and hard work are what counts, then I’ve seen ‘student journalists’ with competency to match that of their mentors.

We’re still in the learning process, yes, but isn’t everyone? Students regularly teach and challenge their lecturers. Thanks to the ‘student’ stereotype, we’re not always given the respect and credit due to us and often downplay our own potential. My age does not reflect my ability, my talent or my determination to succeed. My qualifications, though they may help me to refine my skills, do not reflect how capable a journalist I am. Because I am a journalist, this moment, right here, writing to you. I am my words, judge me by them.

0 comments: